There are many different types of leggings available. One broad category is sports leggings. These leggings are best worn for high-energy sporting activities. People commonly wear sports leggings for running, athletics, and some specific sports like basketball.
Generally, these sports leggings provide excellent support, but also maximum breathability and movement. This means you can still perform at your peak, without sweating too much or overheating. If this is something you would benefit from, we have selected seven of the best sports leggings currently available. This includes sports leggings from Nike, Adidas, Gymshark, and Under Armour.
1. Nike Sportswear Club High-Wasted Graphic Leggings
If you want a basic pair of leggings for occasional sports use, the Nike Sportswear Club Graphic Leggings are a solid option. These are affordable, comfortable, and provide decent support. They may not stand up to more rigorous sporting activities, but if you play or train once in a while, they should be more than adequate.
Price – £27.95
- Available in women’s sizes 4-18
- Simple design with bold swoosh tick logo
- Machine washable
- Simplistic design for light sporting activities
- Made from stretchy but comfortable fabric
- High-waisted design for excellent support
- They may not be suitable for intense/prolonged sporting activities
2. Nike Pro Therma-FIT ADV High-Wasted Leggings
In contrast, if you play sport or train frequently, and for long sessions, the Nike Pro Therma-FIT ADV Leggings are a better option. These leggings have special thermal fabric to control your temperature. Also, they are stretchy but supportive. Although more expensive, these sports leggings will last, and provide the support you need for your active lifestyle.
Price – £72.95
- Available in women’s sizes 4-14
- Made from 80% polyester and 20% elastane
- Can be machine washed
- Ideal for outdoor training and sports in cool weather
- Therma-FIT technology for improved temperature regulation
- High-waisted design with excellent stretchy material
- Lightweight material that still allows great movement
- It may not be suitable for indoor use due to overheating
3. Adidas Own The Run ⅞ Leggings
If you enjoy running and regularly run long distances, the Adidas Own The Run Leggings are a good choice. The AEROREADY technology helps manage your moisture and keep you dry. Also, if you run in the evenings or at night, the 360-degree reflective elements will ensure you are visible at all times.
Price – £50.00
- Available in women’s sizes 2XS to XL
- Made with at least 60% recycled material
- Available in three different colours
- AEROREADY technology for improved moisture management
- Has a high-rise, supportive waistband
- Includes 360-degree reflective details for great outdoor visibility
- Also has a zipped pocket for valuables
- You may find that they can be unflattering when worn with underwear
4. Gymshark Women’s Sport Leggings
The Gymshark Women’s Sport Leggings are an excellent pair of “general use” leggings. They can withstand any type of sport and could also be suitable for training and gym routines. The breathable but durable material means you will stay comfortable, even when performing strenuous sporting activities.
Price – £40.00
- Available in women’s sizes XS to XXL
- Also available in four colour options
- Made from polyester and elastane
- Made from lightweight, breathable fabrics
- Includes mesh side panels to help improve breathability
- High-waisted fit that should support fantastically
- Stylish design with large Gymshark leg logo
- Some may not like the double loop waistband cord
5. Gymshark Women’s Speed Leggings
Gymshark also has a specialist pair of sports leggings suitable for running and distance running. The Speed Leggings are lightweight and should not add any extra stress on your legs. Also, the fabrics are ventilating and thus will help keep your leg temperature and moisture regulated on those gruelling long-distance runs.
Check out this list of the best Gymshark leggings.
Price – £40.00
- Available in women’s sizes XS to XL
- Also available in black, light blue, or navy
- Made from polyester, nylon, and elastane
- Full-length design for support from waist to ankles
- Stretchy material for great movement and compression
- The fabrics are also lightweight and well-ventilated
- Great for running and athletics
- May not be available in plus size fit
6. Under Armour Women’s UA Fly Fast Ankle Tights
If you are an athlete and regularly run shorter distances at fast speeds, the Under Armour UA Fly Fast Ankle Tights are a good choice. These have super-light fabric that provides great coverage but doesn’t weigh you down. Also, the material wicks and dries incredibly fast. This means you can stay comfortable and compete for longer.
Checkout this list for the best Under Armour offers on leggings.
Price – £29.97
- Available in UK women’s sizes XS to XL
- Fully machine washable with colours
- Made from 77% polyester and 23% elastane
- A tight but comfortable fit for the best support while running
- Quick-drying fabric to help control sweating
- It has laser perforations at the backs of the knees
- The wide, flat waistband helps keep the sports leggings in place
- Cannot be dry-cleaned
7. Under Armour Men’s Curry UNDRTD ¾ Tights
Under Armour also has dedicated basketball leggings for men. The Men’s Curry UNDRTD Tights are approved by legendary point guard Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors. They are supportive, but also provide excellent compression. This means your legs can take the strain for longer during those tough basketball training sessions or matches.
Price – £45.00
- Available in men’s sizes S to XXL
- Simple black and white design
- Approved by Stephen Curry of the NBA
- Made from tough HeatGear fabric for great compression
- Primarily used for basketball and other high-energy sports
- 4-way stretch material for superior movement
- The elastic waistband is easy to adjust
- Could offer too much compression for general use
Which Sports Leggings are Right for You?
This selection of sports leggings should give you an excellent overview of what is available. Which pair of leggings is best for you depends on factors including your size, body shape, and when you intend to use them. Think about how often you exercise, what you want to use the sports leggings for, and how much you want to pay. You should then easily be able to choose a pair from this list.