Elbow Support Guide
What is an elbow support?
An elbow support or elbow brace is an item especially developed to help rehabilitation from injuries, pains, and strains. Aside from this, it also helps reduce pain and provides support for your elbow. If you are susceptible to elbow injuries, a support can also work as a preventative measure.
Typically, elbow supports are a sleeve of flexible material that slides over your hand, up to your arm, and cover your elbow, plus a little part of your upper and lower arms. This material sleeve provides compression, helps reduce swelling, but also still allows for full elbow movement.
What are the different types of elbow support?
An elbow sleeve is the most common type of elbow support. This is a single piece of material formed into a sleeve shape. The material is typically flexible and elasticated so that it can stretch to fit the size of your arm while still offering compression.
An elbow sleeve usually doesn’t have any type of straps, Velcro, or clasps. It is simply held in place over your elbow by the compression of the material. Elbow sleeves allow for excellent mobility but also provide great support for the entire elbow joint.
An elbow strap is usually a smaller type of sleeve that has a large adjustable strap. These supports typically sit below your elbow; on your forearm. The sleeve simply slides over your hand and up your arm, to rest below your elbow.
You can then tighten or loosen the strap as required. Elbow straps have the benefit of being adjustable – this means you can tailor the support as your healing process progresses.
This is a type of specialist elbow support specifically designed to help recovery from tennis elbow and golfers elbow. It is a small plastic clasp that fits around your arm. This is secured in place via a strap and a pressure point that sits on your muscle – just below where you feel pain.
These supports are much more targeted and give precise support only in the area that you need it. The downside is that they can be tricky to fit properly and are usually more expensive than standard elbow sleeves.
Do elbow supports work?
Yes! Although they are not the only thing that will help rehabilitation. Elbow supports can help recovery from common elbow injuries like tennis elbow or golfer’s elbow.
They can also help prevent further injury if you are playing sports or regularly lifting items for example. Most doctors and physiotherapists will recommend wearing an elbow support if you have a condition such as tennis elbow.
When should I wear my elbow support?
An elbow support should not be worn all the time. This can cause over-compression and can also prohibit the healing process. Instead, you should mainly wear your elbow support when you are doing an activity that aggravates the injury.
Once you have finished the activity, take the elbow support off again.
What is tennis elbow?
Tennis elbow is a medical condition that causes pain on the outside of the elbow. It is known as such because it is a common injury/strain that tennis player’s get due to the consistent motion of swinging a racket. The NHS states that approximately 1-3% of the UK population is affected by tennis elbow each year.
What is golfers elbow?
Golfers elbow is a medical condition also known as medial epicondylitis. It is a pain that is caused by tendon damage.
The main characteristic of golfer’s elbow is a pain from the inside of the elbow to the medial side of your wrist. Golfer’s elbow can be a result of many activities involving the excessive use of force and bending of the wrist.
Elbow support buying guide
Elbow support products are designed to provide stability and support to the elbow joint, while also helping to reduce pain and inflammation. There are several different types of elbow support products available, each with their own unique benefits and uses.
Types of Elbow Support Products:
- Elbow Sleeves: Elbow sleeves are made from a stretchy material that fits over the elbow joint, providing compression and support. They are designed to be worn during physical activity, and can help to reduce inflammation and pain caused by conditions like tennis elbow or golfer's elbow.
- Elbow Braces: Elbow braces are more rigid than elbow sleeves, and are designed to provide additional support and stability to the elbow joint. They are often recommended for people with more severe elbow injuries or chronic conditions like arthritis.
- Elbow Straps: Elbow straps are small bands that wrap around the forearm just below the elbow joint. They are designed to relieve pressure on the tendons and muscles that attach to the elbow, reducing pain and inflammation.
Uses of Elbow Support Products:
- Sports: Elbow support products are commonly used by athletes to prevent injury and reduce pain during physical activity. They can be particularly helpful for sports that require repetitive arm motions, such as tennis, golf, or weightlifting.
- Rehabilitation: After an elbow injury or surgery, an elbow support product can be used to provide support and stability to the joint during the healing process. This can help to prevent further injury and promote faster healing.
- Occupational: People who perform repetitive tasks with their arms, such as manual labor or typing, can benefit from using an elbow support product to reduce strain on the elbow joint and prevent injuries like tennis elbow.
Benefits of Elbow Support Products:
- Pain Relief: Elbow support products can help to reduce pain and inflammation in the elbow joint, making it easier to perform daily activities without discomfort.
- Increased Stability: By providing additional support to the elbow joint, elbow support products can help to increase stability and prevent further injury.
- Improved Performance: Athletes who use elbow support products may experience improved performance and reduced risk of injury during physical activity.
- Faster Healing: By promoting proper alignment and reducing stress on the elbow joint, elbow support products can help to promote faster healing after an injury or surgery.
In conclusion, elbow support products are an effective way to provide support and stability to the elbow joint, reducing pain and preventing further injury. By choosing the right type of product for your needs, you can experience the benefits of improved comfort, stability, and performance. Be sure to consult with a healthcare professional before using an elbow support product to ensure proper fit and effectiveness.
If you’re recovering from a sports injury, check out our buying guides for wrist support, knee support and shoulder support and ankle support products.